The pool available for rent is a premium Oasis Elite Oval. It come with all kinds of features that are great for laboring, including handles, high, sturdy sides to lean on, and a padded floor. A disposable liner is included in your rental for sanitary purposes and also to facilitate easy clean up.
Why do a water birth?
Women who give birth in the water are more likely to say they are highly satisfied with their birth experience. It offers pain relief, which is beneficial for those who want or need to avoid epidurals and other pain medications. Water birth is also associated with lower rates of augmentation (using medication to speed labor), pain medications, episiotomies, and third and fourth degree tears.
Why rent instead of buy?
It's cheaper. Renting the pool and its accessories costs a lot less than buying them new.
It's friendlier to the environment to be able to re-use this giant piece of plastic than to buy a new one each time.
It's easier because everything is included. The pool already comes with all the accessories you need for a water birth. There's no agonizing over what to buy and "do we really need a thermometer?" (yes, you do. It's for safety, and it's included in the rental kit.) The faucet adapters have been tried and tested at YRMC and we know they're going to fit.
But is it sanitary to use a rental pool? Yes, it is. First, there's a disposable liner included in the cost of your rental. It fits the pool perfectly and means that you (and your body fluids) never actually come into contact with the pool itself. The pool and all the accessories that could come into contact with body fluids are thoroughly cleaned and sanitized after use in accordance with blood borne pathogen guidelines. They are as clean as any other equipment you'll find in the hospital.
How to book and What to Expect:
- Fill out the contact form below.
- Within 48 hours, you'll get an email with the rental agreement. After filling it out, you'll be able to pay the deposit.
- The pool has now been officially reserved for you! Make sure you talk to your care provider and let them know you are interested in laboring and/or birthing in the water.
- Two weeks prior to your due date, we'll arrange for the drop-off appointment. At that appointment, you'll get the cleaned and sanitized pool and all its accessories. We'll walk through what you need to know and answer any questions you might have.
- Rock your labor and have your baby!
- Share the happy news with me. We'll arrange a good time for me to come by and pick the pool back up.
- That's it.
Interested? Fill out this form: